April 25, 2011

CUSTOM & CLOTHING

by Jennifer Tamayo




CUSTOM & CLOTHING
DRESS IS METHODOLOGY
IN THE FIRST STAGES OF WRITING, I WRITE NAKED
IN THE FINAL STAGES OF EDITING, I PUT ON A FINE VINTAGE
DRESS AND
ROLL ON THE GROUND
I’M BEING DISTANT HERE:
THE THING I’M TRYING TO GET UNDER MY SKIN AND INTO THE
WORK



REDRESS




There were a few years I couldn’t do a reading without a
covering over my face, perhaps a shame over the kind of
work I was reading. Now, I refuse to do a reading without
some kind of mask-up, even if that means eye shadow so
thick it makes my lids droop.

THE POETICS OF COSTUMERY:

YOU ARE LOOKING AT ME


Photos by Sean Cain.

Bio: JT loves needles and threads. Her manuscript, Red Mistakes Read Missed Aches Read Mistakes Red Missed Aches, was selected by Cathy Park Hong as the 2010 winner of the Gatewood Prize and is scheduled for publication in Spring 2011 (Switchback Books). JT lives and works in New York City. She is the Managing Editor at Futurepoem.

No comments: